Saturday, March 6, 2010

Improvements

I love seeing clear and definite improvements from day to day.  How wonderful is it when you manage something for the first time?

First off, I'd like to mention that I've been playing with Cal in the arena for the past week.  He's been great, wonderfully confident, but I was hesitant that it was only because there were other people around with horses in there too.  But today it was just me and Cal and he was still great!  Yes!

Some of today's hightlights...Had some great circles, seeing if Cal would go over obstacles while out on the circle; got some great jumping.  Even did some cantering over the jump with success!  Then my figure-8, I was getting the canter with simple changes; first time I've really gotten a decent figure-8 pattern at the canter.  I asked for him to do some flying changes.  A couple time he only changed his front, but he got the flying change in the end.  <3  Still playing with lead by the ear.  I can get steps with the left ear; struggling for the right for whatever reason (not good enough feel, timing, release with my left hand?).  Driving from zone 5 with one rein has gotten much better.  Was doing a lot better at directing him today.

Then I rode in the saddle with one carrot stick.  Follow-the-rail at walk, trot, and canter, playing with doing transitions, being able to have a nice rhythmic trot (especially after cantering), changing direction, etc.  Really nice.  Then played with my riding figure-8.  Had to reinforce with the carrot stick quite a bit to start, but then he got the pattern with just my focus and legs, at both the walk and trot.  Tried to do the canter figure-8 with simple changes.  It kind of worked.  Not the most coordinated of efforts.  Started having trouble with the downward transition, so we would change direction and he would counter canter, or else try and change lead and only change his front end.  It wasn't terrible, but still could be much better.  Getting lighter on disengaging and moving the front end and going sideways.  Oh, I almost forgot.  I was asking Cal to walk over the trailer ramp.  We made it half over and I asked him to go on, and he turned and went right in the trailer!  I happened to have a cookie for him too.  =)  Licking and chewing...backed out, and he walked right back in!  Lol.  I didn't think our trailer loading online was so hot today, but I guess Cal was feeling confident enough to offer it!  Yay!

I'm totally loving all this progress Cal and I have been making recently!

0 comments:

Post a Comment