Sunday, July 25, 2010

Big Stuff!

So, the real reason I updated with all my clinic notes...was that I had a fantastic session today I wanted to share!

I started out at liberty in the round pen.  We're totally rockin' the figure-8's now.  =D  Plans for improving it are to try to get it in an open field and see if I can get it at the canter in the round pen.

Still getting those changes of direction really figured out.  They started out pretty good, then got worse.  Hmmmmm...I played with them more, and did two things that seemed to help them recover.  One was to just draw him in and hang out, rather than asking him to change direction.  The other was to use my great figure-8 pattern to help me out.  I would ask him by the barrel, and since he's got that pattern, the change was so much easier.  Still think getting them fantastic online will help, too.  Spins are out until I get the changes of direction going.

Then I hopped on with nothing for the first time!  Nothing, being not even a savvy string around his neck or a carrot stick in my hand.  He was so fantastically relaxed and chill.  That great understanding of the figure-8 was there for my riding, too.  Love it when it happens like that!  And my stops off the seat - simply magnificent!  Cal was so confident, and I was too.  Trotting went so well.  I felt so balanced, which is something I have been focusing on while riding bareback (I can feel unbalanced when I don't have my hands on my horse to steady myself.)

Finally, ended with some moseying at liberty.  He stuck with me all around the round pen, by the house, to the play area, in his pasture, to the shed away from the other horses.

We're so much greater together then we were at the beginning of the year, when I spent my time doing so much waiting and could hardly lead him with his full confidence.  Change can be so brilliant sometimes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment