Thursday, March 4, 2010

Independant Seat

Today online: Played with lead by the ear.  Am starting to get some steps.  Trailer loading is getting better; Cal was licking and chewing tons while standing inside (normally he doesn't lick and chew until coming out).  Got three laps of canter circles both ways!  Played with my driving from zone 5 with one rein; I'm getting better at staying back there and communicating turns and stops to Cal.

Then I rode bareback today.  Still mostly playing follow the rail.  Watched the freestyle patterns dvd on follow the rail today, so I had some fresh images in my mind on what it should look like.  Since I was bareback, I played around with different things to work on my independant seat.  Dropping my reins and picking them back up, butterfly, smoothly running my hand down one rein, folding my arms, putting a hand on his rump (balance point!), etc.  And I played with a lot of direct and inderect reins, 9-step back-up, getting that nice rhythmic trot on the rail.  All was very nice.  I do think that I was a little more nervous riding bareback than in the saddle, because Cal was cringing at things that don't normally bother him; probably because of tension in me.

I also did a little bit of figure-8.  The walk is great, but when I get into the trot, I have trouble using just my seat and legs to stay on the pattern.  We stopped when I got a little better at that.  Finally I played more with using just my seat and legs for moving front end, hind end, and sideways.  Getting nice.  My nine-step back-up is getting really soft, too.  Oh, and I played a little with asking for lateral flexion with one stick.  Have a bit more sessions to go before I get that one, I think.  I ask too hard, and we end up turning on the haunches instead.

I'm so loving the sessions I've been having this week!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment