Sunday, April 25, 2010

After Week with Mollie Sessions

So I've played about every other day since I've gotten home from the week at Hundred Acre Woods Ranch...Haven't had any horrendous sessions, but ended each on with thoughts and doubts and concerns.  Which I guess is alright.  Learning isn't supposed to be comfortable.

I've been playing mostly at liberty and with freestyle riding.  The one thing that I've had much fun with and no issues is zone 5 driving.

Liberty...well, I've been mostly in the arena.  I've got a range of about 15' for my bring back, after that, my HQ disengagement no longer works.  So I was asking more online.  Only I think I started forgetting to give a decent phase 1.  Because I seemed to teach him to run off.  Erm...well, 50/50 chance to be harder or softer.  So I need to get my disengagement issues untangled so that I can get a bring back from further away.  What has been progressing is my stick to me.  Been taking it slow and giving him hang out time.  I think half the time he leaves because he's unconfident, so I'm trying to take care of that half.  A few years ago I could walk all over the arena and he'd be there with me, but then I lost it...happily, my liberty is progressing and once again he's sticking to me in my wanderings.

Freestyle...I've had some great moments.  Ridden outside and had lovely impulsion right off.  But then I tend to ask for more and more and then we lose it.  Especially after I ask for the canter.  Or jumps.  I went galloping, and discovered our impulsion was completely shot after that.  Tried taping my Level 3 Freestyle audition today, and it was going absolutely brilliant until the cantering changes of direction.  He got really impulsive, and I'm guessing its remnants of our galloping yesterday.  I'm not sure what direction I should go to help improve that...got some thoughts and theories, though.

And I've ridden Lyssi a couple times.  Funny girl.  I think I'm going to really love riding her once we get a few things (bucking, steering) worked out.  =D

0 comments:

Post a Comment