Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Neverending Self Improvement

I heard back about my auditions with relative quickness.  I passed both online and freestyle at level 3.  This is cause for celebration.  Of course, all I could focus on was the feedback in which I was told Cal needed to relax more, and just wanted to tear my hear out in frustration.  I'm ashamed to admit I didn't play with my horse for 2-3 weeks after that.

When I got an e-mail about a Parelli group meeting and lessons with 2* instructor Charity Paashaus, I decided to go.  All I was hoping for was to get a kick to get back into the world and stop feeling sorry for myself.

I was an emotional wreck the entire day of my lesson.  Cal was incredibly right-brained that morning, and freaking out, I played with him.  In hind sight, I should have stayed away.  Whatever the case, I played with him until 2:30, and by then he was all LB.  I spent the rest of the lesson trying to keep the tears in, which I did a rather poor job of.  It was such a relief when it was all over and I was home.  Learning can be so dreadful sometimes.  For learn I did.  So, onto a concise (somewhat) list summation of my lesson with Charity:

  • Success in getting me out there again.  I now know some more things I should focus on when playing with Cal.
  • Leadership.  Stragegies to be a leader.  Why you need to be a leader.
  • To progress, you need to expect more.  If you accept a little, it's all you'll ever get.
  • Balance respect with rapport.
  • Backwards and sideways!  The simple stuff can always get better, and these especially need to be great.
  • Cal is unconfident with things under zone 3; he'll hold his breath (ex. going over jumps).  Play extreme friendly games to help, while horse is moving as well as at a stand still.
  • There are no rules.
  • It's okay to help the horse figure things out.  Ex. While circling, bump nose in and put some pressure on zone 3 to push the ribs out in order to help Cal bend.  Also, circling with head low for relaxation.
  • Intention, make it clear.  Come out of neutral!  (Clarification: Leaving neutral does not necessarily mean moving your feet.  Use body language and energy!)
  • It's okay to be happy with the way things are.

3 comments:

Parelli Central said...

Congratulations on passing Level 3 online and freestyle with Cal. I am struggling with relaxation with my Morgan JB as well... I hope you your new strategies will help you to move forward and progress. Turning frustration into fascination is sometimes a hard thing to do. (I know from experience :-) I wish you only the best for your journey!
Btw, I love the design of your blog. Simple and elegant. Beautiful!

Petra Christensen
1Star Parelli Junior Instructor

Parelli Central said...

Hi Jen, I thought about your post overnight and I didn't see that you posted the "good stuff" that was listed on your scorecard. We always accent several good things and then point out something to help you progress... So, what were the good things? :-) (hint, hint :-)

Petra Christensen
1Star Parelli Junior Instructor

Jen2Cal said...

Hey Petra! Just noticed your comments. (Don't check for them very often!)

Ah, so true about the good things! Even after noticing I needed to be more positive about it, I still didn't mention the good! Dang.

For my FS audition, there was a compliment about how I opened the two gates (it was in my indoor, and I opened the garage door, as well as the wooden gates).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jy7FFIh7c
For my online audition I got told nice sideways and nice jumping. =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pfRuxC8qAE

Great comments! I appreciate instructors joining the media and getting out there and finding us hidden bloggers. =D

And thanks for the compliment on my blog! I'm an artist, and really go for minimalist things. (And had some template difficulties that restricted me. Haha.) The horse in the bg is my level's guy, Cal.

Jen

Post a Comment