Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My horse is perfect except...

...he's terrified of electric fences.  If there was one thing I could change about him right now, that would be it.  (Okay, that was a lie.  If I could magically change one thing, it would be for him to be talented at jumping.)

I just spent a two and a half hour long session trying to ride calmy by an open electric gate.  *sigh*  One of the more frustrating days I've had recently.

Ironically, I had gone out riding with the goal of finding relaxation while riding without playing first.  Because I know if I warm him up well online, then there's no issues riding.  And you may think, well then, just warm him up well the every time.  Unfortunately, I've discovered that's really lowered my riding savvy, and when I do run into unconfidence after I'm on I have a lot less arrows than I'd like.  Cal also trusts me a lot less on his back.  It's no problem for me to stay on, so why not just jump in and try and work this out riding?  And really, to have Cal confident enough to do something riding right now, I have to do it on the ground first.  Do I seriously want to walk my horse on a trail before I get to ride him?  Lol.  I need more riding savvy.

In any case, Cal never really relaxed today.  All we managed was to walk stiffly with a high-head past the fence, vs the beginning where we were 20 ft' away and snorting and shying.  Ugh.  Whatever Pat says about it not taking longer than 2 days, I know accumulative over the past 3 years I've spent a lot more than that playing with this stupid fence issue.

I'm bummed out and hoping tomorrow's better.  (And trying not to be negative and bummed out right now.  Haha.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment